I thought we were watching Scooby-doo

When all else fails, call for help!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Roofer for a day


Yesterday I was home from work doing a few things on the house and I had the urge to finally put down a roof on the new entrace way just built. Not only was it almost 7 pm at the time, but I had to go to the local Home Depot and buy matching shingles (which they thankfully had), edging, felt....all that good stuff. Anyway, roofing is fun even when you are going till 10:15 at night. Fortunately, my neighbors stay up late and they gave me the go ahead to work as long as my little heart desired. And it stays light till around 10 pm, so I had just enough time to finish all but one row (though, this row will be tough cause I have to retrofit into the existing roof). Earlier in the day I had taken off an overhang that existed over our entire front section of windows. After being stung twice by two different bees, I decided it was time to take some action and spray the life out of about 15 small beehives. The bees didn't like that too much. Unfortunately, this morning I awoke to a few spotted windows with these little fly/maggot looking things all over. I'm guessing I disrupted the environmental balance these little guys enjoyed when I took off the overhang. But, since they were intruders in my house (I'm still figuring out how they got in there), I once again began spraying the life out of them as well. It was pretty disgusting. Hopefully they don't get mad and have lots of babies all over my porch area. Maybe they'll just be dead when I get home--at least I have something to look forward to!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lacey Rumley said...

Ah, gotta love home improvement. For a while there, we were regulars at the Depot. :-)

Just wanted to say hi. I found your blog linked from Rachel's. Hope you're doing well!

-Lacey (Liabenow) Rumley

3:18 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ai-yo! Bees and maggots? Kill them all! Kill them all!

We have termites and cockroaches here. Wanna trade?


The other day I saw a rat the size of a kitten. I kid you not.

9:55 PM  
Blogger danlanning said...

Thanks for the comment, Lacey. Life in Grand Rapids is great. Glad you're doing well and doing some home repair.

Rach--that rat is disgusting!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

wow- the pix...make the story that much more interesting! i'm with rachel....KILL THEM ALL...they don't deserve to live, well, they don't deserve to live in the house...

impressive work on the roof!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home