I thought we were watching Scooby-doo

When all else fails, call for help!

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dan made a mistake.


I was once again reminded yesterday that I am not indestructible and that I can make mistakes. I was reframing a section of the front porch (the right side windows in the picture (taken at the time of move-in), in my house because we had bought new windows a few weeks ago to make the porch more private/useful/insulative, and things were going fine until I came down from the ladder and put my foot right thru a nail. It was the "palm" of my foot and the nail probably went in about a 1/4 of an inch. Being the tough guy that I try to be, and never wanting to wait even a second on injury (because I'm fine and I need to be efficient), I hurried and cleaned the wound, put some neosporin on, and got back out to finish framing in the window.
Not long after that, the window was going in the rough opening and all looked good. I must preface the next part by saying it was extremely windy yesterday. I looked for some stats online today, but no one likes to carry the wind factor. Anyway, I had a couple screws in the window, it was in the frame, and when I reached for a few more screws the wind swirled and pulled that brand new window right out of the opening and onto the ground.
Glass definitely broke and fell all over the ground. It was about a 4' drop for the poor window. After looking at the window for about 3 minutes and getting upset, I remembered that the window that goes to the front porch has the same size openings, so I pulled the panes out of that window and put them in the new. Thus, we have a working window and 2 panes that are broken. I guess the other window will have to wait a few days to be put in until glass can be repaired.
I tried to think of positives from what seemed to be a yucky day, as I've been reading the Bible that we are to praise God in all situations. My foot has not become infected. We had an extra set of window panes that fit. I was only cut once by the glass--and a small cut at that. We have a good-looking window that does what we wanted. It'll just cost a bit more than expected. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Ai-yo! Remember when I stepped on a nail when I was 15 or so? I had to get a tetnus shot! Ouch! I remember that it hurt sooo badly. I'm sorry you had to go through that. At least you didn't step on the broken glass, too! Now THAT would have stunk!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I mean, "tetanus" shot.

This English teacher ain't a good speller.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Ben and Rebekah said...

Yikes, Brother! We're hoping and praying that your foot is feeling better today! Just make sure you're 100% by the golf outing when we're at Gull Lake or else Ben will be very sad. :)

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home