I thought we were watching Scooby-doo

When all else fails, call for help!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Southern Belles


It's amazing to me how different southern people are from us northerners. I've been able to meet 3 fine ladies from Georgia--all of different ages--over the past few months and they never cease to be kind, friendly, social, hospitable, less time-conscious, and happy. I can see why my sister, Rebekah, does well in that environment, as she exudes all those characteristics. What are some characteristics of northerners? Well, I feel we are more selfish, more isolated (and 6 months of winter doesn't help the socializing as much as 12 months of spring/summer), less expressive, dependent on the weather for our outlook on the day (come on, you know it's true), and more entertained my material things/media than cultivating friendships. I know this doesn't include everyone up north (I hope I don't portray all these characteristics), and I'm sure there are some mean and unfriendly southerners, but it's something to consider. When I was in South Carolina a few months ago, I was amazed at how friendly people were walking down the street to each other. It's contagious. I try to create conversation with strangers or retail personnel up here and it's amazing how many of them don't want to chat or won't even look at you.
Just some food for thought.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Interesting observations, Dan!

Many people in Taiwan think the same thing about people here...that the Northerners are much less friendly. When we lived in southern Taiwan, we did notice that people are more willing to stop and chat with you, and they were definitely less time-conscious!

I think people in Taipei are just more focused on making money and getting ahead, whereas people in Kaohsiung are just trying to get by and have some fun in the process!

Wait until you come visit and we take you to Hong Kong...even though the city is very cool and I love visiting, I notice a definite lack of "warmth" in the people I pass on the street. Maybe it's because there are 7 million people on a tiny piece of land. In Kowloon alone, there are 520,000 people per square mile. Can you imagine? It would drive me batty to live there!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

I'd have to whole-heartedly agree with this post...Rebekah fits in VERY nicely to the south--if she would adopt our accent...no one would know the difference!

rachel-i cannot even imagine 520K people per square mile!!! i mean...they don't even get any breathing room...! i don't know if i could be friendly in that environment either..

10:37 AM  
Blogger Ben and Rebekah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Ben and Rebekah said...

You're too kind, Brother! We just love it when you visit!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ben and Rebekah said...

Oh, and Candice...you're the first person I ever referred to as a Southern Belle...you defined it for me!

(By the way, I did that deleted comment; I had made a mistake before publishing and wanted to change it but couldn't! Oops!)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

:) thanks rebekah!

3:07 PM  
Blogger danlanning said...

look at all this commenting...i never knew it was such an exciting topic!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home