I thought we were watching Scooby-doo

When all else fails, call for help!

Friday, July 14, 2006

Yea God!

Hopefully I'm not the only one that wakes up or goes throughout a day thinking about all the sin that still lingers in me. There are definite times when I feel very far from God. This morning was one of those times. It seems as though bad situations, poor conversations, worthless actions, and impure thoughts tend to slowly build up until I feel a great chasm between myself and God. Confession and repentance are two very different things in my book. The first comes quite easy, but I never feel nearly as reconciled to God until the latter takes place.

But the incredible thing to me is that, though I feel unworthy of God's kindness and pathetic as a Christian, God still is right here wanting to bless me. I don't always understand it. And it's hard to always accept it. This morning I had two specific examples of his kindness, love, and favor. I dropped my car off at the shop this morning to have a few lights checked out on my dashboard that came on last week. The bus stop is right there, so I was waiting for the bus to arrive when a truck pulled up next to me. I recognized the man (he works maintenance next door at the Brann's restaurant and his wife used to work at the hotel) and he told me to jump in and he'd take me to work. I honestly don't know him that well--and he's definitely not a believer--but he showed kindness.

The second occurrence happened when I received a call from Menards confirming my window replacement cost (I busted the glass about 1 1/2 weeks ago). I had gone to a glass shop and was told it would cost about $160 to replace the glass, while the window had only cost $140. Go figure. So I went back to Menards and the lady this morning told me that the window company would do a free replacement. I had told her it was my fault that the windows broke, but she said when she spoke to the representative, since the windows were so recently bought, they wouldn't charge a dime, and as long as I didn't mind receiving free sashes, she'd place the order. I didn't mind.

I remember reading Joel Osteen's book, Your Best Life Now, and he speaks of proclaiming God's favor, and thanking Him for it, before things take place. I believe that has truth to it, but I also believe that sometimes God just wants to bless his children and remind them that He is God and he can pour out blessings when we least expect it or feel the farthest away from Him.

Yea God!

2 Comments:

Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

Isn't something how God gets our attention when we feel our lowest? Your post reminds me of Isaiah 30:18 -But the LORD still waits for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for him to help them.

....so the Lord is waiting on us to allow him to bless us and show compassion to us? ....I'm no Bible scholar, but I can't help but think that the Lord waits on times like these to pour his love, compassion and blessing on us.

2:17 PM  
Blogger danlanning said...

good choice of a verse, whitley...i'll have to memorize that one.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home