I thought we were watching Scooby-doo

When all else fails, call for help!

Saturday, December 02, 2006

December snow storm


So we got a lot of snow yesterday here in Michigan.....about 5" where I live and much more if you head north. Not only was it snow, but it was wet and heavy snow. And when you work maintenance at a hotel, as well as help out at 2 other hotels, the muscles get a bit sore after a day of it!

Growing up, my sisters, dad, and I used to have to shovel the church sidewalk--especially on Sundays--early in the morning. It was always a good workout and most of the time nice to be outside.

Yesterday was not so fun.

Going from hotel, to hotel, to hotel (it equated to shoveling 5 hotels since we did our hotel 3 times!) can wear a man out. I am definitely sore today.

What is the point of this post? Actually, I've been thinking of my dad and how for so many years he shoveled the church by himself or with others. At twice my age, he was still shoveling hard. What a man. He never complained. Never delayed. Always did more than was needed. Was very thorough. Lined up others to shovel if he would be gone. Took the harder sections than others. Mainly, he never complained. Never. It wasn't a chore. It wasn't a pain. It was what he did. He was an amazing example to me of how to work hard and be a man. Do your job and don't complain. I have a part-time guy who works with me. Nothing is ever good enough. Things are too hard. He needs to take a break. I'm doing something wrong. I had such an example from my dad that I just don't have much tolerance for chosen inability.

I hope that I can continue to become more like my dad. I'll be a good man if I can. Thanks, dad.



5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

What a beautiful tribute to Daddy! He was out early this morning getting the sidewalks cleared in front of the church...and like you said, never a complaint! I'm so thankful the Lord has given him a strong body and heart...he forgets sometimes he's 62 and not 32! HA!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

hey, dan...funny you should mention your sore muscles, because I talked about you on the Chat Room today. We were teaching the word "buff," and I said that it can be used informally to describe a person with big muscles! Then I said the sample sentence, "My brother, Daniel, is really buff from working out." But maybe I should have said, "My brother is really buff from shoveling snow." :)

1:57 AM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

love the story rachel...i agree...daniel is really buff!

i hope it doesn't snow too much for you today.... :)

8:26 AM  
Blogger danlanning said...

mr. buff

9:40 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey Mr. Buff...You are definitely right about your Dad...not only is he a wonderful example for you but what a wonderful example he has been for our church & us. He is definitely a man of God.

As a Mom, I'm so thankful for Mr. L. and what a wonderful example he has been to Ken III and that he also looks up to his Dad.

Bless YOU Daniel!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home