I thought we were watching Scooby-doo

When all else fails, call for help!

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Violator


I received a letter in the mail from the city on Thursday saying that I was in code violation on my house. On the basis of a complaint (either from a neighbor or a city official who drove by) I have no building permit for siding. I know that I've done significant work on my house that has probably warranted a permit (the law says any 1. new construction of building or structure (yes, I've done that), 2. moving a building (no), 3. structural alteration or remodeling (yes)). So, for sure I've constituted a permit, but the fact that someone now just turned me in in somewhat frustrating--especially when it is related to siding. So I have 10 days to get a permit and get approved for siding, and then we'll see what happens. If I fail to get a permit, they could get me for $85 for the first offense, $260 for the second, and $510 for the third. What can you do? I'm guessing the city just wants their money and it wasn't a neighbor who complained--but you can guess I'll go to the city building and find out who filed that complaint since it's public information!

Otherwise, I framed out the closet in the porch area yesterday, so I need to get my friend Bill over to run new wiring (don't tell the city!) and then it's drywall time! And hopefully soon it will be siding time. The rain this past week has put a slow on that whole process.

Only 6 more days till I get to travel to see the most wonderful girlfriend in the world! Yay!! The countdown takes too long. And then I'll get to see my nephew in 7 days! What a great time of year.

Go Michigan--beat them Irish. I read an article online (and it was ESPN, so it has to be true) on Thursday that had some Michigan stats--thought I'd post them (sorry, Candice).
"When you own the most victories incollege football history, the highest winning percentage, the most distinctive helmet and the best fight song, you're not typically burdened with statement games. But sometimes, not even an NCAA-record 31 straight bowl bids, 11 national titles or three Heisman Trophies are enough."

8 Comments:

Blogger Jason and Liz said...

Man, I'm sorry, Dan!
If you need a lawyer, give Jason a call!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Just don't let anyone inside your place! It's always something isn't it?
Hey...you were talking about Nebraska weren't you? It was a pretty good bowl game last year!!! GO BIG RED!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

We'll be praying you get the permit! They should be THRILLED that you are siding it and making the area more beautiful!
GO MICHIGAN!

11:47 AM  
Blogger danlanning said...

it's no biggie--but i'm not going to let them inside for sure! if i need jason, i'll be sure to call!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Ben and Rebekah said...

No way! I can't believe it about that permit. We'll be praying it all works out.

Go UM!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Guess I am out numbered! Congrats to Michigan. Nebraska tried...28-10 isn't too bad???

9:26 AM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

i'm with my dad on this one...'glad to see the irish beat by michigan...but not glad that they were beat so severely"

yay for public records. if it were a person in the neighborhood...why couldn't they have come by and had a chat with you to find out info?...people are gutless these days..

GO CLEMSON! We beat FSU...YAY! :)

I can't wait to see your nephew...and find out his NAME!

8:33 AM  
Blogger danlanning said...

well, candice, georgia put a licking on the old UAB as well--I don't much like to see them win that easily, either! :)

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home